Spring Application Deadline: December 15, 2015
Running Start was created because young women remain only a tiny fraction of the elected officials and candidates for public office in the United States. To truly build the percentage of women leading in politics, we must get more women to run at a young age. Running Start introduces young women to role models, talks to young women about the importance of politics in their lives, and gives them the encouragement and skills to pursue a career in political leadership.
Running Start’s work to bring young women to politics would not be possible without our dedicated interns and volunteers. Interns typically work in our office for a semester, either during the Spring, Summer, or Fall. We periodically reach out to our volunteer list as opportunities arise depending on our upcoming programs and events.
This job is ideal for someone interested in learning about nonprofit management. Our interns get a well-rounded experience and are taught the ins and outs of Washington and advocacy. Prior experience in politics is not required, but strong writing, communication, and organization skills are a must. A healthy sense of humor is also encouraged.
Intern Responsibilities Include:
- Event Planning:
- Selecting students and speakers for our political training programs. (Learn More Here)
- Helping staff organize logistics for various events, including our annual awards gala
- Drafting business communication for Running Start staff
- Composing profiles of “young women to watch” around the United States
- Newsletters, emails to our members, and press releases
- Women in politics around the world
- Young women candidates running for Congress
- Why so few women are running
- Web Upkeep:
- Adding content to site
- Monitoring our Facebook page
- Monitoring our Twitter feed
- Helping spread Running Start programs to education institutions around the country
- Maintaining our information data base
The deadline to apply for an internship is December 15, 2015. Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with the subject “Spring 2016 Internship Application”.