10 Special Little Ways to Celebrate the Last Day of Your Internship
You did it! You made it through the interview, the insane workload and mastered the break room coffee maker.
There are many reasons to celebrate the last day of your internship.
Many of our interns are winding up their semester interning in DC this time of year and saying goodbye to new friends. It’s a bittersweet moment. Having a little fun can make it more sweet than bitter. We know you want to do that in a professional manner, of course, but don’t be afraid to let your hair down and live a little.
Go ahead. Loosen that tie. Wiggle the pin out of that too-tight chignon.
You made a grand entrance, a big contribution and now it’s time to make your exit.
Here are our favorite ideas for saying goodbye in a fun and memorable way:
- Surprise your office mates by filling the break room with treats for everyone to share.
- Organize a quick “goodbye” continental breakfast, but do it some place silly. Think your most-frequented bus stop, a nearby park or your favorite intern housing common area.
- Ceremoniously discard those “comfortable” flats you wore on your commute to and from the office.
- Set up a spot for a photo opp, complete with costume props like funny hats, glasses or signs with goodbye messages
- Present your “thank you” letter to your boss as though it were a resignation letter.
- Take a selfie in all of the office hot spots (and around the city, as well!) Include office mates (but don’t be too intrusive).
- Grab a bagel and coffee, and tip your favorite barista a little extra this time to say farewell.
- Leave a list of helpful tips and tricks for the next intern who has to fill your shoes.
- Splurge on something fancy for your next step into the business world: a new tablet, something sharp to wear to the office, or a plane ticket to a bucket list destination!
- Create a list of positive affirmations to carry with you for the next five decades or so.
Read more about how to end your internship on a positive note
Here are a few examples of positive affirmations that can inspire your next steps:
- I am already successful! This internship is the first of many career victories for me.
- My internship was a journey of personal and professional growth. I’m a much stronger candidate now than I was just months ago.
- The best of my career is still ahead. I have so much to look forward to each and every day.
- I may not be at my peak every day of the year, but I will perform to the best of my abilities, whatever that means for the moment.
- I will continue to base my career goals on my own expectations for myself, not the expectations set for me by others.
Obviously, these are just examples. Create a list that is personal to you.
Whatever you do, reward yourself! Treat yourself to a little pampering or just a few quiet moments with a newfound friend. Nothing is too silly or too simple. We’ve all worked so hard to get to this point! Celebrate the amazing accomplishments of your internship. Who knows, you may be back one day!
And as Steve Jobs once said: