Winter Weather Advisory
A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 8 pm this evening to 3 pm EST Thursday. 4-8 inches of heavy snow and sleet are expected, as well as heavy winds. Sidewalks and roads will become slippery and travel will be dangerous tonight and Thursday. Heavy wet snow coupled with gusty winds could lead to utility outages.
How to Prepare
- WISH will have salt in buckets for you to sprinkle over the steps and walkways of your building.
- Snow shovels will also be provided so you may shovel walkways throughout the day.
- Make sure you have adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
- Make a last minute run for groceries after work and it may be good to purchase a flashlight.
- Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow. If you must shovel snow, stretch before going outside.
- Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat. Wet clothing loses all of its insulating value and transmits heat rapidly.
- Watch for signs of frostbite. These include loss of feeling and white or pale appearance in extremities such as fingers, toes, ear lobes, and the tip of the nose. If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately.
- Conserve fuel, if necessary, by keeping your residence cooler than normal. Temporarily close off heat to some rooms.